Friday, August 31, 2012

Cool Weather Chic

 

Fall makes me want to go out on the town every evening. The colors outside are beautiful and there is a sense in the brisk fall air that anything is possible. There is a constant war going on within me, though, because in order to look chic enough for the evening, I inevitably freeze to death somewhere along the way. Sure I can wear a coat and scarf in the car, but they have to be discarded to eat at that fancy restaurant, and again at that musical I had been dying to see. Sweaters and long sleeves lend a casual air to my fancy dresses, so what to do?

I’m sure we’ve all fought the “comfortable vs. chic” battle in the cooler months. Most of us, I think it’s safe to say, tend toward the chic and suffer through a chilly evening, ending up with a head cold the next morning. But what if I told you that you don’t have to compromise your evening and good health in order to look cute? With the cool weather hastening in, fabrics are getting thicker and the sheer gauzy pieces of summer are blessedly fading out. For the most part, thicker fabrics are fancier (think wool and cashmere), but at the same time they can be expensive. A surprising alternative is the corduroy dress. No longer just for pants or blazers, corduroy is quickly becoming the fabric and texture of the season. Because of its blend of cotton, rayon, acrylic and polyester, it offers warmth and a little stretch, without the weight of wool meaning you don’t even need to get it in long sleeves! The trick is getting this dress in the right cut. A boxy shape cinched with a belt is casual, whereas a more fitted style with the right accessories is chic. Try one on next time you’re around, and don’t be afraid to fall hopelessly in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment